- 1917-1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 Linear Foot
Name of creator
Name of creator
The Highland Park Hospital began as a community institution in 1918. It began with a focus on local community health and was supported by individuals and associations of Highland Park. Some of the associations that contributed to the Hospital in its early years are the Woman's Auxiliary, Ossoli Club, Ravinia Woman's Club, and the Garden Club of Highland Park. The Hospital had many departments: a Maternity Ward with staff obstetricians, Operating Rooms with staff surgeons, X-Ray department, Medical Laboratory Dental Clinic, Baby Clinic, Emergency Room, and general patient care admittance. A few of the goals of the Hospital were to educate the public on health information, care of elderly, and the general well being of the community.
With the growth and expansion of the community, the Hospital grew as well. In 1978, they added a new wing to the existing hospital, and in 1980, they added a heliport. The new wing allowed for more patients to stay in the hospital and allowed the hospital to further expand its existing departments. Adding a heliport, allowed patients to be flown in or out of the hospital due to their needs. It also allowed the hospital to gain status as a triage center.
The Highland Park Hospital, in 2012, is part of the NorthShore University HealthSystem .
Created by members of the Highland Park Historical Society via donations and other subscriptions.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This collection documents the Highland Park Hospital. There are two series: Friends of Highland Park Hospital and Highland Park Hospital.
The first series holds reports and other materials created by the Friends of Highland Park Hospital and related organizations. The community funded hospital and its supporting organizations created and disseminated updates on the hospital's progress, events, and free general health information. The Hospital also had a Thrift Shop, run by the Highland Park Hospital Auxiliary. This series includes newsletters, annual reports, correspondence, pamphlets, and thrift shop information.
The second series, Highland Park Hospital, documents the Highland Park Hospital. It holds material to increase awareness and promote the Hospital. Annual reports, early birth records, correspondence, hospital development information, program information, pamphlets, newsletters, newspaper clippings, newspapers, photographs (images and negatives), and stock certificates comprise this collection.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
No known restrictions
Conditions governing reproduction
Consult museum staff.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Handle photographs with care, as some are older then others and they may deteriorate. Newspapers are also brittle and should be handled with care.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Processed by Konstandina D Argyropoulos, 2012.