Showing 173 results

Archival description
Collection
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

9 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

House Photographs Collection

  • US-IlHpCH 306
  • Collection
  • 1987-1993, undated

Mostly color photographs of houses in Highland Park, Illinois. Many photographs are labeled with MLS numbers.

Gieser Family Papers

  • US IHigp 305
  • Collection
  • 1890-2008

This collection regards the Gieser family, their descendants, and extended relatives from the turn of the 19th century to the present day in Highland Park. This collection pertains to the members of this family, as well as those who would eventually marry into the family, specifically Elise Weisenberger who married William Gieser. The collection contains a significant number of photographs and albums, Deerfield yearbooks, and other artifacts such as Adolph Gieser's fire chief medallion, and a DVD containing an interview with Elise Weisenberger Gieser about her family and her life on the Bonita Vista estate as the daughter of the gardener.

Gieser Family

Highland Park Fire Department Collection

  • US IlHpHS Dept.Fir
  • Collection
  • 1889-1989, No Date

This collection was created by a committee developing a centennial exhibit for the Highland Park Fire Department. The dates range from 1889 to 1989 with the opening of the exhibit. The items found in this collection are various images, newspaper articles, an exhibit proposal, various reports from the fire house, a yearbook created for the centennial, and a uniform.

Highland Park Fire Department

Evangelical Congregational Church

  • US-IlHpCH 2022.3
  • Collection
  • 1855-2016

The Evangelical Congregational Church of Highland Park marked its official founding on June 28, 1896, with the dedication of its newly erected church building, but the church’s origins date back further. The early church was comprised of German speaking pioneer settlers from Pennsylvania who had been members of the Evangelical Association found by Jacob Albright. In 1839, these settlers started a church in what is now North Northfield. Some of these church families relocated to Highland Park and formed a group that by 1873 was part of the Des Plains circuit. A church building was erected in 1883 on the northwest corner of Central Avenue and Green Bay Road. In 1894, the Illinois Conference of the United Evangelical Church was organized following a division of the Evangelical Association. The First United Evangelical Church of Highland Park was organized under this conference and construction began on the permanent church building.

Upon the dedication of the church building in 1896 by Bishop Rudolph Dubs, H. H. Thoren became the first pastor. The church originally held its services in German until introducing an English service in 1898 and the earliest records of the church are written in German. In 1913 the church sent out its first missionary, Homer Dubs, to China and enlarged the basement of the building. The church decided to remain independent during the merger of the two national denominations, The United Evangelical Church and the Evangelical Association in 1922. The interior of the church was remodeled in 1935. During the 1950s the basement was enlarged again, and the steeple lowered due to deterioration of the wood. On June 24, 1962, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a new Christian Education Building to provide more space. The completed building was dedicated on May 26, 1963, by Bishop H. H. Scanlin. The church became affiliated with the Evangelical Congregational Church headquartered in Myerstown, Pennsylvania, the successor to the United Evangelical Church. The last service at the Evangelical Congregational Church of Highland Park was held on December 28, 2010.

The collection is organized into eight series: Administrative Records; Organizations; Women’s Missionary Society and Sunday School; Special Days; Memorabilia; Photographs; Publications; and Miscellaneous. The records document the operations, activities, and members of the church as well as their relationship with regional and national church groups.

Evangelical Congregational Church

Chaplain George D. Rice Lantern slides

  • US IlHpHS chap.ric
  • Collection
  • 1890 - 1920

The collection is comprised of 470 lantern slides positives, chiefly in black and white. The slides range in date from the late 1890’s to the mid-1910’s. The largest series (93 slides) are illustrated biblical passages of the Old Testament. The collection also comprises images of the Spanish-American War, the U.S. Navy, the Wreck of the Maine in Havana, Cuba (1898), the Battle of Bacolod (1902), and the Second Boer War (1899-1902). Included in the slides are images of China, Alaska, Cuba, Philippines, and several unidentified locations and portraits.

Rice, Chaplain George D.

Telephone directories collection

  • US IlHpHS Tele.dir
  • Collection
  • 1890-2014

Various Highland Park and neighboring communities arranged chronologically and by decade, white and yellow pages : 1890-1999 ; 1999-2000 ; 2001 ; 2002 ; 2002-2003 ; 2004-2005 ; 2007 ; 2008-2009 ; 2009-2010 (2) ; 2010 ; 2010-2011 ; 2011-2012 (2) ; 2012 ; 2013 ; 2013-2014 ; 2014 (2).
Issues dated 1908-1913 have been digitized and are available on the Library's website via the link below.

Highland Park Historical Society

Men's Garden Club Records

  • US IHigp 301
  • Collection
  • 1939-1993

The collection consists of records of the Men's Garden Club of Highland Park and subsequent Men's Garden Club of the North Shore and Gardeners of the North Shore. The collection contains an incomplete set of issues of the Garden Club's publication "Garden Pants" from 1939-1968. Also included are Men's Garden Clubs of America Yearbooks (1940-1943), applications for membership (1943-1957), correspondence, project information, metal garden markers, and materials from annual garden club shows.

Men's Garden Club of Highland Park.

Grace Mary Stern Collection

  • US IlHpHS 2012.5
  • Collection
  • ca. 1968-1982

This file contains correspondence, clippings, campaign publications and a button.

Stern, Grace Mary

Highland Park Building Company

  • US IlHpHS BuilCom
  • Collection
  • 1870 - 1925

Business records, including ledgers, letter books, stock certificates and minutes from the Highland Park Building Company.

Highland Park Building Company

Henry X Arenberg, papers

  • US IlHpHS 2012.11
  • Collection
  • 1923-1997

Henry X Arenberg's papers chiefly document his role in the civic life of Highland Park, Illinois. The bulk of this collection consists of event planning correspondence, committee participation records, and photographs of historic buildings and locations. It also contains a wide collection of newspaper clippings.

There are 6 series and 2 subseries the the collection. The first series is Oversized, which contains items that were too large to be placed in the other boxes, or awkwardly shaped items. The second series is General. It contains correspondence from committees and events that broadly interested Arenberg; including, but not exclusively, Highland Park or his photography. The third series is People, containing various people of Highland Park. The fourth series is Photographs, which contains general photographs not associated with a subseries, and then 2 subseries. The first subseries is Homes, which contains images of homes from around Highland Park. The second subseries is National Registry, which contains images of homes, monuments, and locations listed on or suggested to be listed on the National Registrar of Historic Places. The fifth series is Preservation, which contains information dealing with actions taken to preserve various locations, monuments, and buildings in Highland Park. The sixth and final series is Publications, which contains various books and articles that involved Henry Arenberg and were published either by himself of via the Highland Park Historical Society.

Arenberg, Henry X

Results 1 to 10 of 173