US IlHpHS R2012-30
Highland Park School Districts, records
- 1857-1954 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2 Cubic feet + 1 oversize file [mixed materials]
Name of creator
The Highland Park and first area schools were built in 1856, the earliest known then as Port Clinton School. In 1893 Port Clinton School was replaced by a large two-story brick building which is known as Elm Place School. During 1869 to 1961 the local school system of Highland Park continued to grow as a result of academic innovation and an involved community, and in 2011 there were eleven schools in the North Shore School District 112 of Highland Park, Illinois. These schools are Elm Place School, Ravinia School, Lincoln School, Oak Terrace School, Braeside School, Edgewood School, Indian Trail School, Red Oak School, Wayne Thomas School, Northwood School, and Sherwood School. There is also Highland Park High School which is in District 113.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This collection contains materials relating to School Districts 108 and 109 in Highland Park, Illinois. The materials cover the follwoing school properties: Braeside, Lincoln and Ravinia Schools. The files contains blueprints for various parts of the properties, deeds, titles, correspondance, and other research about the properties and locations. The dates of the materials span from the mid 1920s until the mid 1940s.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The overall condition of the materials in this collection is fair. Several of the papers have hears and are brittle. Care should be taken when handling materials.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
There is one item that is oversize whose original location is unknown. It is a hand drawn map of Ravinia School property. it is now located in a folder with the other oversize folders for this collection.
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Processed by Eve Mangurten, 2012.