Showing 319 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions
Print preview View:

28 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Evangelical Congregational Church, records

  • US-IlHpCH 2022.3
  • Collection
  • 1855-2016

The Evangelical Congregational Church of Highland Park marked its official founding on June 28, 1896, with the dedication of its newly erected church building, but the church’s origins date back further. The early church was comprised of German speaking pioneer settlers from Pennsylvania who had been members of the Evangelical Association found by Jacob Albright. In 1839, these settlers started a church in what is now North Northfield. Some of these church families relocated to Highland Park and formed a group that by 1873 was part of the Des Plains circuit. A church building was erected in 1883 on the northwest corner of Central Avenue and Green Bay Road. In 1894, the Illinois Conference of the United Evangelical Church was organized following a division of the Evangelical Association. The First United Evangelical Church of Highland Park was organized under this conference and construction began on the permanent church building.

Upon the dedication of the church building in 1896 by Bishop Rudolph Dubs, H. H. Thoren became the first pastor. The church originally held its services in German until introducing an English service in 1898 and the earliest records of the church are written in German. In 1913 the church sent out its first missionary, Homer Dubs, to China and enlarged the basement of the building. The church decided to remain independent during the merger of the two national denominations, The United Evangelical Church and the Evangelical Association in 1922. The interior of the church was remodeled in 1935. During the 1950s the basement was enlarged again, and the steeple lowered due to deterioration of the wood. On June 24, 1962, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a new Christian Education Building to provide more space. The completed building was dedicated on May 26, 1963, by Bishop H. H. Scanlin. The church became affiliated with the Evangelical Congregational Church headquartered in Myerstown, Pennsylvania, the successor to the United Evangelical Church. The last service at the Evangelical Congregational Church of Highland Park was held on December 28, 2010.

The collection is organized into eight series: Administrative Records; Organizations; Women’s Missionary Society and Sunday School; Special Days; Memorabilia; Photographs; Publications; and Miscellaneous. The records document the operations, activities, and members of the church as well as their relationship with regional and national church groups.

Evangelical Congregational Church

Baker family photographs

  • US IlHpHS 69.192
  • File
  • 1890 - 1994

Portraits and other images of the Baker family, chiefly by Brand Studios, with detailed descriptions on versos.

Baker family

Società Modenese, records

  • US IlHpHS 2015.11
  • Collection
  • 1906 - 1926

Minutes, membership and financial records for local mutual aid society from its founding until 1926.

Società Modenese (Highland Park, Ill.)

Gieser Family papers

  • US IHigp 305
  • Collection
  • 1890-2008

This collection regards the Gieser family, their descendants, and extended relatives from the turn of the 19th century to the present day in Highland Park. This collection pertains to the members of this family, as well as those who would eventually marry into the family, specifically Elise Weisenberger who married William Gieser. The collection contains a significant number of photographs and albums, Deerfield yearbooks, and other artifacts such as Adolph Gieser's fire chief medallion, and a DVD containing an interview with Elise Weisenberger Gieser about her family and her life on the Bonita Vista estate [old 1201 Sheridan] as the daughter of the gardener.

Gieser Family

Judith H. Baumann papers

  • US-IlHpCH 310
  • Collection
  • 1951-2015, undated

Collection includes materials connected to Baumann as a student and alumni of Highland Park High School Class of 1955, news clippings on Highland Park figures including Allan Carr, Julius Rosenwald, and Charles Kimbrough, and postcards from the area. There is correspondence, leaflets, and news clippings related to the Highland Park Historical Society.

Baumann, Judith H.

Highland Park Bicentennial Poster

  • US-IlHpCH 318
  • Collection
  • 1976

Official commemorative poster from the city of Highland Park, Illinois observance of the American Revolution Bicentennial

Highland Park (Ill.)

Water Filtration Plant, Highland Park, Ill. photographs

  • US IHigp 321s
  • Collection
  • 1930

6 black and white photographs of Water Filtration Plant, Highland Park, Ill., Pearse, Greeley and Hansen, Engineers, Priester Construction Co., completed June 1930.

Fromader

Fort Sheridan Collection

  • US IlHpHS fort.she
  • Collection
  • 1887-2000

This artificial collection, which appears to have been created by the Highland Park Historical Society, contains files related to the Fort Sheridan army base (active from 1887-1993) located in Fort Sheridan, Illinois. The files contain records regarding the history of Fort Sheridan, ceremonies and events held there, its redevelopment, visitor's guides and photographs documenting its history. It is arranged by topic.

Fort Sheridan (Ill.).

Babette S Kornblith scrapbook

  • US IlHpHS 2008.11.1.3
  • Collection
  • 1930-1931

Correspondence, clippings, images and detailed inventories and documentation, pamphlets, printed materials compiled by Better Homes in America campaign local chairman Babette S Kornblith. This scrapbook documents the Better Homes in America campaign and Deerfield-Shields High School Vocational Program, the cooperative work between the two groups and ensuing recognition, 1930-1931.

Kornblith, Babette S

Results 61 to 70 of 319