Authorized form of name
Highland Park High School
Parallel form(s) of name
- Deerfield-Shields High School
- Deerfield High School
Other form(s) of name
The first Highland Park High School classes were held at Elm Place School. One person graduated in the first class in 1885, Milton H. Baker, Jr. In 1887, the second floor of Brand's Paint Store on Central Ave. began to serve as the high school. Renamed Deerfield Township High in 1890, the school was called Highland Park High School colloquially until Shields Hall Opened in 1900. By 1904, the high school officially included students from Shields Township and became Deerfield-Shields High School. The 1936 opening of Lake Forest High School witnessed the return of the name Highland Park High School as Shields Township students began to attend Lake Forest High School.
The current Deerfield High School opened the late 1950s.