Showing 575 results

Authority record

Highland Park High School (Ill.).

  • Corporate body
  • 1885-

The first Highland Park High School classes were held at Elm Place School. One person graduated in the first class in 1885, Milton H. Baker, Jr. In 1887, the second floor of Brand's Paint Store on Central Ave. began to serve as the high school. Renamed Deerfield Township High in 1890, the school was called Highland Park High School colloquially until Shields Hall Opened in 1900. By 1904, the high school officially included students from Shields Township and became Deerfield-Shields High School. The 1936 opening of Lake Forest High School witnessed the return of the name Highland Park High School as Shields Township students began to attend Lake Forest High School.
The current Deerfield High School opened the late 1950s.

Highland Park School Districts

  • Corporate body
  • 1856-

The Highland Park and first area schools were built in 1856, the earliest known then as Port Clinton School. In 1893 Port Clinton School was replaced by a large two-story brick building which is known as Elm Place School. During 1869 to 1961 the local school system of Highland Park continued to grow as a result of academic innovation and an involved community, and in 2011 there were eleven schools in the North Shore School District 112 of Highland Park, Illinois. These schools are Elm Place School, Ravinia School, Lincoln School, Oak Terrace School, Braeside School, Edgewood School, Indian Trail School, Red Oak School, Wayne Thomas School, Northwood School, and Sherwood School. There is also Highland Park High School which is in District 113.

Fort Sheridan (Ill.).

  • Corporate body
  • 1887-1993

The conception of Fort Sheridan began as a result of the Haymarket affair in May 1886. Chicagoans concerned with the outbreak of violence petitioned Congress to install a military base nearby to Chicago, if the need should arise. Marshall Field led the petition to reserve land for the military base; and 632 acres of land were reserved for Fort Sheridan. In 1894 troops from Fort Sheridan were sent into Chicago during the Pullman Strike. During World War I, Fort Sheridan became a Reserve Officers Training Center. After the war, the fort expanded its duties to treat patients during the 1918 influenza epidemic. During World War II, the fort was a Recruit Reception Center. The fort also served as administrative control headquarters for prisoners of war camps in Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin. Approximately 15,000 prisoners were placed under their responsibility. During the Korean and Vietnam conflicts, the fort continued as a reception and processing center for military personnel. In the early 1980s, a portion of Fort Sheridan was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. By the mid 1980s, the reduction of military personnel staff began and its function shifted to supervision of reserve activities around the Midwest. By the early 1990s, the Deptartment of Defense downsized: Fort Sheridan was among the first to be closed during the first round of military base closures. However, the Fort continued to support troops during Desert Storm and Desert Shield until it officially closed in 1993.

Highland Park Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1918-

The Highland Park Hospital began as a community institution in 1918. It began with a focus on local community health and was supported by individuals and associations of Highland Park. Some of the associations that contributed to the Hospital in its early years are the Woman's Auxiliary, Ossoli Club, Ravinia Woman's Club, and the Garden Club of Highland Park. The Hospital had many departments: a Maternity Ward with staff obstetricians, Operating Rooms with staff surgeons, X-Ray department, Medical Laboratory Dental Clinic, Baby Clinic, Emergency Room, and general patient care admittance. A few of the goals of the Hospital were to educate the public on health information, care of elderly, and the general well being of the community.

With the growth and expansion of the community, the Hospital grew as well. In 1978, they added a new wing to the existing hospital, and in 1980, they added a heliport. The new wing allowed for more patients to stay in the hospital and allowed the hospital to further expand its existing departments. Adding a heliport, allowed patients to be flown in or out of the hospital due to their needs. It also allowed the hospital to gain status as a triage center.

The Highland Park Hospital, in 2012, is part of the NorthShore University HealthSystem .

Results 11 to 20 of 575